The idea of the Laurel Volunteer Fire Department was formed in 1898 after a fire on Main Street in which 12 buildings, along with the Presbyterian Church, were destroyed. Following in the footsteps of that fire, the City Council worked on the necessary legislation and a constitution and by-laws where written and four years later the Laurel Volunteer Fire Department was born. Orginally there were 3 companies in the Laurel proper; one at 8th and Montgomery, one at 5th and Montgomery and one on Washington Blvd by the Little Tavern. The first Fire Chief was David M. Fischer.
It wasn't until 1935 that the Company consolidated into one location at the Old Phelps and Shaffer store on 9th and Montgomery. With much needed growing room, the Laurel Volunteer Fire Department moved, in 1954, across the street to the old Laurel Elementary School No. 1. Today, the Laurel Volunteer Fire Department is housed on the corner of Cherry Lane and Van Dusen Road, in a building that they moved into in October of 1990. The current building contains offices, a gym, a kitchen, meeting rooms and bunk rooms for male and female fire fighters.
The current home of the Laurel Volunteer Fire Department is a two-level building with 4 drive-through bays. The upper level of the building is dedicated to the operations branch of the department, while the lower level houses the administrative branch. We moved into our current station when it was completed in October of 1990.
Our previous station was located at 901 Montgomery Street in old Laurel. Our home features two full kitchens, training room, TV room with large screen TV, separate male and female sleeping quarters (bunk rooms), shower/locker rooms, excercise room, meeting hall, several offices, and a communications desk (watch office). Our bunk rooms can sleep a total of 24 firefighters.
The Laurel Volunteer Fire Department has made many changes over the years with the types of apparatus we use to serve the community. And we wouldn't be the Company we are today without our apparatus. We currently operate with 3 engines, a tower ladder, 2 ambulances, a medic unit and several support vehicles. Please click on the links at the right to view and read about our apparatus.
On December 23, the LVFD took delivery of a 2008 International MedTech ambulance. The ambulance was a "demo" unit shipped from the west coast for our purchase. The unit was repainted to add red to the original solid white paint scheme and lettered. The unit was purchased from Atlantic Emergency Solutions, http://www.atlanticemergency.com.
On January 7, 2011 Ambulance 108, was inspected and certified by MIEMSS, through the VAIP program. The Voluntary Ambulance Inspection Program (VAIP) serves to formally recognize, and make readily apparent to the public, those emergency response vehicles in Maryland that are equipped to a standard of excellence as defined by the MIEMSS guidelines.
LVFD was issued the seal of excellence, for A108 which is proudly displayed on the exterior of the ambulance.
A108 was officially placed in service with PGFD on January 19th, 2011. At 2206, January 19th, Ambulance 108 took its first call. The call was handled by FF/EMT Clive Monnity and FF/EMT Fred Miller.
2008 Seagrave Marauder II- 2000gpm pump, 500 gallon tank with an 8 Man Cab
1999 American LaFrance Eagle- 2000gpm pump,500 gallon tank with an 8 Man Cab
2004 Seagrave Marauder I- 2000gpm pump, 500 gallon tank with an 8 Man Cab. Engine 104 also has a compliment of holmatro rescue tools.
Chief 10's buggy- 2014 Chevy Tahoe SSV
Chief 10A's buggy- 2012 Checy Tahoe SSV
Chief 10B's buggy- 2016 Ford Explorer XLT
"Old Liz" 1928 American LaFrance
This is Old Liz, a 1928 American LaFrance 1000 GPM Pumper. She went into service protecting the City of Laurel in 1929 and ran calls into the 1950s. Now she has her own room at the LVFD, located in the lower level of the firehouse. She is on display, along with other historical memorabilia, in the Life Members' room at the LVFD. While its days of service are past, she still runs and drives.
Tower Ladder 10
2016 Seagrave Apollo II 105' with 7 Man Cab
Utility 10 is a 1993 Ford Crew Cab pickup with an eight-foot bed, powered by a Navistar diesel engine.
Location, Phone #, and Directions
The Laurel Volunteer Fire Department (LVFD), is located at 7411 Cherry Lane in the City of Laurel, Maryland 20707. Laurel is situated in the northernmost portion of Prince George's County Maryland and borders three other Maryland counties: Howard, Montgomery, and Anne Arundel. The Laurel Volunteer Fire Department responds to mutual aid calls in each of these neighboring counties.
View Larger Map